PROCESS BEFORE SURGERY
- 1st Consultation: Get a detailed consultation. Clarify all your doubts. Read about the process a bit and discuss in detail. Make sure that you have some if not all the idea as to what exactly are you looking for. Tell the doctor about any previous surgery or illness or any sort of allergies.
Ask to Expert
- Repeat Consultation : Go back after the first consultation and think. Make a list of things to clarify and understand and meet the doctor or the team again.
- Expectation of results : Please be doubly sure as to what result you are expecting and you and your doctors are at sync and on the same page. This will make things easy for you in the post-operative period. It is better to have realistic expectations as there are various limitations of your body as well as of the surgery.
- Measurements and photography : Some measurements are required. The photography for nose is quite standard and consists of photograph from the front, both sides, chin up position( from the down) and both oblique views.
- Investigations : Usually a CT scan of the nose is ordered to look at the sinuses to look for any sinusitis and the nasal septum for any significant deviation. Other investigative reports maybe required prior to the procedure.
- Understanding the Plan : The nose surgery may be in the Tip, which can be broad, boxy, drooping, globular. The nostrils may be bigger or smaller and the base (ala) may be broader. There may be deformity of the bridge of the nose which may be irregular, crooked, humpy, depressed and so on, the root of the nose similarly may be high or low. The nasal bones may be broad which may be of a concern. Once the problem is identified and a consensus is reached as to what all corrections need to be done, the treatment plan is made by the surgeon.
- Finalise the hospital/ clinic : Choose one near you or the best plastic surgery clinic in the city.
- Schedule the date of surgery and advance payment or full payment : Please make sure that the full procedure of payment is understood by you and there are no hidden costs. If there are some over heads, you should have an idea regarding them. Also note that some services of Cosmetic surgeries are taxable by the Government and you may have to pay extra for them.
- Understand the preoperative instructions well like being empty stomach before surgery, etc.
- Photograph : Pre-operative and post-operative photography helps in judging the results objectively and is helpful for you as well as the doctors and also removes the scope of ambiguity.
- Report for surgery on time : or a little before that so that you are relaxed.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the side effects of Rhinoplasty?
Bruising, tenderness and swelling are the usual side effects of this procedure. These settle fast. The uncommon side effect may be persistent nasal bleeding, recurrence of deformity, incomplete correction, septal perforation etc.
How much time will it take to recover from Rhinoplasty?
A splint / plaster is applied to the nose for about 1 -2 weeks. Bruising and swelling settles down in approximately 2-4 weeks after the nose plastic surgery. You will start to appreciate the results in 3 months but the final results take up to about a year.
Is Rhinoplasty covered under insurance?
If rhinoplasty surgery is associated with functional disorders like breathing difficulty, deviation of the nasal septum, etc. it may be covered by the insurance company.
Is there pain and discomfort after Rhinoplasty?
Like any other surgery, there will be some pain or discomfort after the nose reshaping but it can be minimized and taken care of with prescribed medications. Usually there is swelling around the nose and eyes which settles in a few days.
Is Anesthesia used for Rhinoplasty?
Usually general anesthesia is used, though in less severe cases, local anesthesia along with sedation can be opted for.
Surgeries that can be done with Rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty is a fine surgery and requires due importance. It can be combined with Sinus surgeries. If necessary rhinoplasty can also be combined along with - Chin Augmentation, Blepharoplasty, Cheek Implants, Cheek/Mid-Face Lift etc.