Signs of Diabetic foot:
Causes of Diabetic foot:
Whom should you consult
Blood Sugar control : Controlling blood sugar prevents the progression of diabetic foot. Medical treatment with good blood sugar control, antibiotics required to prevent infections and medications to improve blood supply, go a long way to protect your foot.
Wound dressings offer protection and barrier to external contaminants while promoting absorption of discharges around the ulcer. Different types of dressings are available to promote wound healing. Negative pressure wound therapy : This involves removal of wound fluid through a sealed vacuum. This is aimed at improving tissue perfusion and promotion of granulation tissue.
- Getting rid of dead debris and necrotic tissues
- It forms the main stay of treatment
- Has to be aggressive because the infection spreads inside
- Many sittings of debridement may be required
- At the end the wound becomes clean and reddish
- Simple stitching
- Skin grafting
- Local flaps from nearby areas
- Flaps from other areas
- Nerve release to increase sensation and healing
Growth factors and skin substitutes
Bio-physiological stimulants of wound healing like growth factors including platelet-derived growth factors, epidermal growth factors, etc also form a major role in speeding up the wound healing process.